Unlike comparatives, we use superlatives to describe a relationship among three or more things. Comparatives describe that relationship between only two things. To form the superlative, you can either add -est or most. The rules for superlative are similar to the rules for comparative to decide which form to use.
In addition to adding -est or most, the superlative also usually has the word the in front of it to show that it is definite.
When an adjective has only one syllable, the adjective generally takes the -est form to compare three or more things. If the word ends in one vowel and one consonant, double the consonant before adding -est.
- Ice skating is the coolest way to get out of the summer heat.
- July in Provo is the hottest month of the year.
- Ice skating is not the easiest sport, but it is fun!
- The students at Nomen Global are the friendliest students in the United States!
- Seven Peaks is the most popular place to go in the summer months.
- Staying near ice is one of the most effective ways to stay cool in the summer.