Commonly Confused Words: Homonyms

The English language has many words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently. English also has many words that are spelled differently but pronounced the same. These words are called "homonyms."

Homonyms
The word "homonym" comes from the Greek words homo meaning "same" and nym meaning "name." Homonyms have the same name, but different meanings. However, "name" can mean spelling or pronunciation. There are two categories of homonyms, homophones and homographs.

Homophones
Homophones include words that have the same pronunciation. The Greek phone means "sound." Homophones may have the same spelling, but they don't have to. Here are some examples:

Turn right at this corner.
Write your name at the top of the page.

When I went camping, I slept on a cot.
When I went fishing, I caught a fish.

Homographs
Homographs include words that have the same spelling. The Greek graph means "writing." Homographs may have the same pronunciation, but they don't have to. Here are some examples:

I received a present for my birthday.
I am proud to present my new invention.

The girl is wearing a bow in her hair.
After his performance, the pianist will bow to the audience.

English is a rich language with many interesting words. Learn more about English and its words at Nomen Global.

No comments:

Post a Comment